The Family Birth Center of Habersham Medical Center is here to serve you. Our obstetrical team is committed to making every delivery memorable and special. Whether your goal is to experience a natural delivery, water delivery, an epidural delivery, or your need is for a cesarean section, HMC Family Birth Center has you covered
Included on our professional staff are board certified physicians, nurse midwives, highly trained nursing staff, and patient care technicians. Each member of our team makes patient care and safety their priority.
Our Birth Center includes 4 labor suites, 4 postpartum suites, 1 antepartum suite, a triage suite, a one-bed level I NICU, and direct access to our OR suites. Each suite is complete with a private bathroom and a pull-out bed for your overnight guest.
At Habersham Medical Center, our entire team strives to incorporate our I-CARE values in everything we do. Each team member plays an integral role and routinely displays Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence.
Our standard of excellence provides:
- Family-Centered Care – The Family Birth Center strives to provide quality care in a supportive and nurturing environment. We encourage rooming-in with your baby to promote the bonding process that takes place between parents and infant during the first few hours and days after birth.
- Care Management- Our collaborative approach uses the expertise of obstetricians, certified nurse midwives, pediatricians, anesthetists, and trained staff to provide clinical care for both you and baby.
- Water Birth Option- Water is a safe, natural, and effective way to relieve pain. This service is provided at the Family Birth Center. Talk to your obstetrical provider to see if this option is right for you.
- Personalized Attention- We will support you every step of the way during labor, delivery, and your first few days as a new family.
Packing Your Hospital Bag:
At 35 weeks, you may consider packing a hospital bag for you and your baby. Here are some items to consider:
- Nightgown or T-shirt if you don’t want to wear a hospital gown
- Nightgown for after delivery (one that opens in the front if you will be breastfeeding)
- Slippers/socks with non-slip soles
- Bras (nursing bras and pads if you will be breastfeeding)
- Toiletries (brush, toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, cosmetics)
- Ponytail holder
- Loose-fitting clothes for the ride home
- Camera/Video camera (please speak to your nurse about when video cameras may be used)
- The hospital will provide pads/panties for after delivery (you may bring your own if you choose)
- Clothes for the baby (onesies, sleepers, outerwear)
- Receiving blankets
- Rear-facing car seat (Georgia Law requires children under the age of 4 to be placed in a child restraint device. Infants must be placed rear-facing up to 1 year of age and it is recommended to continue until 2 years of age.)
- The Birth Center will provide formula, diapers, and wipes during your stay
It is helpful to determine who you would like present for the birth of your baby before admission. This should be communicated to your nurse upon arrival. You may find comfort from the encouragement of friends and family members. You will be allowed four visitors during the actual delivery. Depending on your stage of labor and comfort level, visitors may be asked to wait in the waiting room. Other visitors and family members may make short visits during your labor, but they must always remain in your room or the waiting area. Visiting hours in the Family Birth Center after delivery are from 9am-9pm. Remember friends and family members should not visit if they have recently been ill.
**COVID-19 UPDATE: Due to the ongoing pandemic, visitation guidelines have changed. Each patient is now only permitted to have one support person during their stay. This support person must be named and screened at the time of admission and will be the only support person permitted during the entire length of stay.
Thank you for considering HMC Family Birth Center. We look forward to meeting your needs. Please feel free to call with any questions or concerns. You may also call to arrange a personal tour of our facility. (706) 839-4000 Ext. 2122.